Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Preterm Labor

I managed to see the new labor & deliver floor in our hospital this evening, but it wasn't the way I was hoping.

After working for 4 hours, I ended up having to make a trip to L&D because I had been having contractions for over 2 hours. By the time I arrived the contractions had settled down a little bit. Instead of every 5-10 minutes they were down to about every 15-20 minutes. I knew I wasn't dehydrated. I have had nearly 100 ounces of water today!

The bright side to sitting in the triage for 2 hours is that I was able to hear baby's heartbeat and listen to him kicking at thw monitors! LOL.  Fuss used to run away from them, so at least her brother didn't do that.

After an hour they gave me Procardia to stop the contractions and officially told me it was preterm labor. Thankfully we had no progression or dilation. The cause? Well, no one really said but they did mention that I most likely have a urinary tract infection and gave me an antibiotic. Oddly, sometimes something as simple as a run-of-the-mill infection can jump start labor.

Why can't pregnancy just be easy!?

No comments:

Post a Comment