Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sorry...Emotional Right Now

So sorry for the lack of posts lately. I am having a very emotionally stressful time lately with my Great-Grandmother. As a family, we have had to make the decision to put "Mamaw" under a DNR order at the nursing home. Granted, she is 93 and could even have another year left, it is still VERY hard knowing that I will be the one to sign the papers. I know this is the best decision, but it is emotionally draining to even think about it.

Mamaw raised me from the time I was 4 years old. She is like my mother. Watching her slowly slip away and end up being more gone than here has been hard. I can't bear to have her suffering. And I know that she isn't able to undergo any aggressive treatments or even some less aggressive ones. She had a mild heart attack 2 weeks ago and the doctors wanted to do a catheterization to check for damage. At 93, 5'6", and 100 pounds she is WAY too weak for anything like that. Her regular doctor suggested "comfort measures" should anything else happen. My family and I are in agreement.

Doesn't make it any easier though.

No comments:

Post a Comment