Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Signed

As many of you know, I have been dealing with preparing a DNR for my Mamaw. As of Friday, it is signed. The social worker at the nursing home was amazing! She and I have a relationship anyway since Mamaw has been in the home for such a long period of time (over 5 years). The SW and I went over all the paperwork together including what exactly we wanted for Mamaw's end-of-life care. Per doctor's recommendation, we added comfort measures to her paperwork. This simply means that we will continue to give her the medication needed for her to maintain her current level of care. If she gets an infection, she will be given antibiotics. If she gets dehydrated, she will be given an IV. The biggest thing is that if she has a heart attack or something like that, they now don't have to send her to the hospital. She can just stay at the nursing home and pass away peacefully.

I'm not necessarily ready for this part. She raised me from the time I was 4 years old. She raised my mother. We have an amazing and unusual bond with Mamaw. Unfortunately, Mom and I also have a rift between the two of us because of that bond with Mamaw. It is not something I'm going to get into now, but may in the future. Mom and I have really worked hard to get over our issues and I know I will need her more than ever for support when Mamaw does pass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment