Saturday, August 10, 2013

Hormones, Headaches, and Hair

Three things most women avoid talking about if they possibly can. And this week I have had all 3! I suppose it is the extra testosterone I now have flowing around through my veins making me more prone to random hair growth. I swear, I can almost shave my legs one night and then by morning I have a 1/2" of stubble! It is the strangest thing since I have hardly any hair on my legs in the first place!

Then, for the past week I have had headaches nearly every day. Most of them aren't bad, especially when I normally have a couple of migraines a month. However, I had the worst migraine I have had in the past 5.5 months! It started with auras/visual disturbances. Par for the course since I had Fuss. So, I lay down for 10-15 minutes to allow the auras to pass (and the pain to set in). I took Tylenol the minute the auras started and started drinking Mountain Dew. After about 15 minutes, I went back to work. What set this migraine apart from any other one that I have had is that about 30 minutes after that, I started having numbness in my right hand and fingers. That lasted 15 minutes before leaving and then numbness set into my tongue and mouth for 10 minutes. Again, it left but I called my OB after I finished my work. Hubby wasn't too worried, but I decided to check in. They still refused to call in any meds for me, but told me if it happened again with the numbness to go to the ER. Yay. I don't think so. I have been dealing with migraines for over half my life. Pregnancy just brings out the strangest changes in my symptoms.

And that all leads back to the hormones! Higher levels of estrogen, progesterone, and now testosterone have thrown my body into a spin. Unfortunately, the only cure is having the baby...definitely don't want that until at least November! lol. Here's hoping my body adjusts again for a while like it did at 15 weeks and things settle for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment