Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Toddlers and Tantrums

Yesterday was an interesting day. As was today. Why? Because Fuss took full advantage of the fact that she is (nearly) 18-months-old and decided it would be fun to throw tantrums at every possible moment. Not only that but, apparently, she has undergone a growth spurt recently and is SUPER clumsy! I am not joking when I say that I'm amazed she doesn't have a concussion after the last 2 days. She has slid and fallen into a chair, walked into a door, thrown a tantrum and hit her head on the ground while falling down limp, and tripped on her own feet and fallen into the coffee table! The worst part is that this isn't even remotely a complete list of all the things she's done the last 2 days alone. My mother-in-law always says, "God made them with short legs for a reason." Looks like she was right! LOL.

For the tantrums, we have had battles over hand-holding (which led to her going limp, slipping from my grasp, and banging her head on the floor in the mall), leaving a store, going IN a store, going the "wrong" way according to Fuss, and food. It amazes me how many things can seriously set her off. You would think that when I give her the food she requested she would be happy, right? Not in Toddler Town. By the time you have it prepared, she no longer wants "pasta." Now she wants "cicles." *sigh*

We also had a battle today over whether she was actually going to come with me to go home. Yup, right in the middle of JoAnn Fabrics I walked away from my 18-month-old daughter because she refused to hold my hand and walk with me. Before you go all psycho, though, I was only about 10 feet from her and within eyesight...including within eyesight of this very angry-looking old woman who must have thought I was THE worst mom in the world at that particular moment. What happened? Fuss got called by her first and middle name in a firm voice and I told her, "Let's go!" She came running to me. No muss, no fuss. We even left the store with her tagging along peacefully. (Contrary to your belief, Old Woman, I am her mother and I DO know what I am doing!)

Tonight, we endured yet another joy of toddlerhood: pushing bedtime. Fuss actually took a nap today for an hour and a half, so I didn't mind too much. However, it is exceedingly irritating when you are putting your little one to bed and she goes through a list of things to stay awake (already): Daddy? He's at work. Potty? You don't need to go now, you just went. Eat? You just ate. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, DOOOONNE! I am learning that some nights I just have to hold her still in my lap until she gives up and passes out.

So, what are some of the lessons you have learned since becoming a parent? This is by no means an all-inclusive list! LOL. I will be posting soon about the loss of naps and how that has affected our household. What a crazy journey parenthood is!

No comments:

Post a Comment